Wednesday 7 January 2009

Fridge Invaders

Fridge Invaders

I had been given a 500 piece fridge poetry magnets txt msgs kit as a present a few years ago but never got around to doing anything with the pieces. Then the idea popped into my head one day that they could be used as pixels and I could create a silhouetted design with them on a metal surface. I then figured that it would have to be a really simple, which is when I thought about doing my own version of Space Invaders.

So, using one slightly dented fridge as my canvas, I got to work. From what I remember, it took about 2, possibly 3 hours to complete mostly because I was trying to use all 500 pieces so kept adding new bits and pieces.

Here's a couple of close-ups on a couple of the Invaders:

Invader 1

Invader 2


Unfortunately, the Fridge Invaders are now no more. I've moved home a couple of times since the above photos were taken and I no longer have the magnets. Shame really, as it might be fun to do an animation with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this! i did a similar thing with my unwanted fridge poetry magnets, only mine was a random line drawing of an elephant holding a cocktail, or some such explanation for the mess i'd made. this is much better. i am jealous.

Gareth Hacking said...

I'm glad you like :-) I might purchase some new one's and have another go in the future - only this time: Pacman!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...